Kagerou Studios
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kagerou Studios project forum

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

what RPGs do you like and dont like and why?

Go down 
+2
Neclords
oblivionator
6 posters
AuthorMessage

what RPGs do you like and dont like and why? Empty
PostSubject: what RPGs do you like and dont like and why?   what RPGs do you like and dont like and why? EmptySat May 17, 2008 5:49 pm

Whats your favoirte games and why?

Like-

I like the chrono series. it was very original and new. the music even tho midis are awesome.
It had an amazing play back value since it had like 12 endings. and til this day the graphics, even tho the first 1 was super nintendo still beats alot of the PS1 games. For some reason its easyer to play a Non 3d game today, like gameboy and stuff compared to its 3d counterpoints. Nintendo, old graphics will always be the same but 3d graphics titles feel worse over time since 3d keeps improving so much and we get use to the newer more power graphics.

also I love metal gear. its just a more mature game. it isnt a shoot em up FPS. and also its story is very orig. It pulls its self away from the real world but at the same time is based on the world we live in. without over doing it. Its like it couldve happned kind of thing. and always leaves you confused and wanting more at the end. and the story is very deep. and i love watching the cutscenes. I have the MGS3 limited and it came with a bounus disk that turned teh whole game into a 3 hour movie. just awesome.

I also liked final fantasy 9 and 10. I Like 9 more in a sense that it keep very close to the final series But pulled away. the music was nice the characters a lil dif. the main character for one. that i see is rare is that he was a depressed emo ( cloud, vincent) and it gave off a differant art style.also the villiain as girly as he looked was rather differnt. he was misterious and stayed back for some of the game. and when he came forth he played games with you. and the way he acted after finding out what his destiny was, well seemed very likey. he blew up his entire would and went on a " if I cant live in this world then no1 can!" .

Final fantasy 10 was also good. not as good as 9 in my book, but great. it was new had voices and the story and everything was differant. the world wasnt all fancy midevil. and gave off a differant touch

Dislike-

Im not a big fan of Believe it or not FF7. I think the characters look great and prob had an ok story. but i just didnt like the villians way of thinking. he was cool and powerful. thats awesome and all but he was alil to obsessed with his mommy and riding the planet thru space like a space ship. kinda corny on my end. And cloud being as emo as he is. had a cool sword but still yeah. and All the peopel everywhere make it worse. the game wouldve stayed a good game if people didnt over do it. FF7 was fine but then the lame spin offs just ruined it. i have played the prequel yet but the sequels god reminds me of ffx-2 all over. and i love how over 40 percent of the people who say its awesome , never played it. even some of the cosplayers. god dont get me started on cosplayers. i saw a tifa.....lets just say a 250 pound woman should never wear anythin glike that ever.

FF12 battle system was new and even the graphics. look sliek their was alot of work put in it. but i couldnt get pass lv 43. the game bored the hell out of me. an dmost games like that end around 46-50. story wise. it was like watching an old midevil thing on tv. i couldnt really find a griping story. even tho the whole summons and boss fights were awesome an dgraphics were great.

Anime / movie games. THEY almost alwasy ruin it. its just horrible. teh games were sorry to say to some fans horrible put togther and kinda boring. they never follow the show ( kinda like a bad fan fic) . and they are just money bringers. They make a naruto fighting game in japan that goes by the show. ok so you get like 12 fighters to use.. then the next game comes out and they added like 2 extra people. thats it! 2 or 3. then they go and release the same game here. from like 4 years ago lol. also i dont like the games with the cool art on the box and nothing htat shows what the game looks like. the games ar elike 67 bucks for ps2 and i dont even get a good piture on the box of teh game, just anime.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what RPGs do you like and dont like and why?   what RPGs do you like and dont like and why? EmptySat May 17, 2008 11:26 pm

I really like all the Final Fantasies after 7, thats when i started playin them. My favorite though was either the newer version of FF7 for PS2 or FFX, i liked the blitzball feature too. Also i didnt like the first version of FF7, but the remake for PS2 was good.

I also liked kingdom hearts, but i thought Kingdom Hearts 2 final boss was a bit too easy, but they both had a good storyline and made a great game.

I thought Wild Arms 2 and 3 were fun except for the fact that some of the places were very tricky to locate which made the game last a bit longer, and kinda boring till u actually find it then it becomes fun again.

I liked Suikoden IV till almost the last boss, then it went bad. If u chose the the wrong groups to go to each place u had to start over from the beginning to fix it, but it still is fun because there r things u might of not done in the last game.

I didnt like Stella Dues: the Gate of Eternity because its gameplay was just like final fantasy tactics with a worse storyline. The game was very limiting and the graphics or music were also not too good.

Also i find it strange that most the games that came from a movie/show with good ratings were not very good, vice versa.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what RPGs do you like and dont like and why?   what RPGs do you like and dont like and why? EmptyTue May 20, 2008 11:17 am

I also like the FF series. I love 8 and 9. 7 and 10 are realy good. not big on 12 so far tho.

I'm a huge Suikoden fan. I havent ever played 1 or 2 tho. but 3, 4 and 5 are my favorite games of all.

I like some older games like Thousand Arms, Wild Arms and Legend of Dragoon.

The only one i ever realy hated was Unlimited Saga. and i dont like Wild Arms 3. it bothers me for some reason.
Back to top Go down
oblivionator
Admin
Admin
oblivionator

Male
Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: what RPGs do you like and dont like and why?   what RPGs do you like and dont like and why? EmptyTue May 20, 2008 12:16 pm

I'm a huge huge fan of Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2, Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9, 10, Shadow Hearts 2 & 3, Breath of Fire 4, Suikoden 3, 5, Xenosaga 3. I haven't finished Shadow Hearts 2 but it looks extremely promising.

Final Fantasy 12 was extremely disappointing. Aside from the hunts being fun, the summons are useless, the "limit break" was not unique for each character, and the story is becoming a fetch quest, not to mention we have a totally useless main character named Vaan. (He became useful in Revenant Wings though lol)

Grandia 3 has a very good and interactive battle system, but its story sucks and the main female lead is extremely whiney and annoying. And there is NO sidequests to do... Sigh.
Back to top Go down
http://www.devilmayfly.net

PostSubject: Re: what RPGs do you like and dont like and why?   what RPGs do you like and dont like and why? EmptyTue May 20, 2008 1:57 pm

Yeah kingdom hearts was awesome. Dont get me wrong but number 2 was kinda a let down. not in the main game just parts. It wasnt as free as the first 1. it was like every step you took you got a mission to beat all the enemys with hints on top. and they totaly fufiled every fan girls dream of sora being gay for riku, and for the last time ROXAS and AXEL ARE NOT LOVERS. they dont have hearts so they cant love.
Back to top Go down
oblivionator
Admin
Admin
oblivionator

Male

PostSubject: Re: what RPGs do you like and dont like and why?   what RPGs do you like and dont like and why? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 4:37 am

hahaha LOL

yeah it's true, i like kingdom hearts 1 better than 2 but you have to admit, both sephiroth's fights were super awesome.
Back to top Go down
Neclords
Level 7
Level 7
Neclords

Number of posts : 206

PostSubject: Re: what RPGs do you like and dont like and why?   what RPGs do you like and dont like and why? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 5:50 am

I like both of them. Especially the Final Mix, although i don't understand the languange. But that's very great game and high replay ability.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what RPGs do you like and dont like and why?   what RPGs do you like and dont like and why? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 11:38 am

I never realy cared for the first Kingdom Hearts game, and I've never seen the 2nd one. Not realy my style, but meh...

I'm playing God of War today. fun-fun
Back to top Go down
Meg
Admin
Admin
Meg

Female
Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2008-05-12

PostSubject: Re: what RPGs do you like and dont like and why?   what RPGs do you like and dont like and why? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 7:33 pm

I finally finished FFXII.... wasnt crazy about it though...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/dancingmonkey

PostSubject: Re: what RPGs do you like and dont like and why?   what RPGs do you like and dont like and why? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 9:10 pm

I've tried like 3 times to get into FFXII, and I just cant like it either. Sad I've barely gotten past the part where you get the first summon guy. blah.
Back to top Go down
Meg
Admin
Admin
Meg

Female
Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2008-05-12

PostSubject: Re: what RPGs do you like and dont like and why?   what RPGs do you like and dont like and why? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 9:42 pm

yeah, i'd have to say it's the worst of all of them Sad I was really dissapointed... i hope the new ones better... I still havent bought a PS3... i have no desire to spend that much money on a video game console
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/dancingmonkey
Suraksin Varja
Level 7
Level 7
Suraksin Varja

Male
Number of posts : 265

PostSubject: Re: what RPGs do you like and dont like and why?   what RPGs do you like and dont like and why? EmptySun May 25, 2008 1:57 pm

lol, alot of ppl cant get into 12 due to its political take on things... me i hate puzzle filled RPGs and RPGs that have too many endings or try to reinforce replayability...

i love RPGs that have epic storylines.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what RPGs do you like and dont like and why?   what RPGs do you like and dont like and why? EmptySun May 25, 2008 2:13 pm

I dont like the gameplay of FFXII. I dont like the licenses system. I dont like the battle system.... storyline seemed cool (from what I seen)... I didnt like the characters appearance, but the video sequences were wicked.
Back to top Go down
Suraksin Varja
Level 7
Level 7
Suraksin Varja

Male

PostSubject: Re: what RPGs do you like and dont like and why?   what RPGs do you like and dont like and why? EmptySun May 25, 2008 6:24 pm

lol, I couldnt care less how bad those things are so long as it has a good story lmao... but yeah the LP and battle systems were way too easy.
Back to top Go down
oblivionator
Admin
Admin
oblivionator

Male

PostSubject: Re: what RPGs do you like and dont like and why?   what RPGs do you like and dont like and why? EmptySun May 25, 2008 11:05 pm

lol no offence james but for FFXII, the story started great but became crap like 1/4 down the road. It's all about "oh we need to fetch this nethicite", then "oh we need to fetch this sword", and then fetch this fetch that, not to mention we have a totally useless main character.

to sum it all up, i would say the only thing good about FFXII is the beautiful graphics, FMVs and the challenging hunts. everything else was a disappointment lol sorry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what RPGs do you like and dont like and why?   what RPGs do you like and dont like and why? EmptySun May 25, 2008 11:08 pm

haha. Did I mention that I havent been able to get past the Belthias the Gigas yet? I beat him and whatnot, I was just so unhappy with the game all 3-4 times I've tried, I keep quitting around that point.
Back to top Go down
megalos5889
Level 3
Level 3
megalos5889

Male
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: what RPGs do you like and dont like and why?   what RPGs do you like and dont like and why? EmptyFri Jun 20, 2008 12:11 am

FF12 was supposed to be the mainstream FF's first foray into the world of Ivalice created by FFT. No surprise its sequel Revenant Wings was part of the Ivalice Alliance (others included FFT: The War of the Lions [FFT's PSP remake], FFT A2 & FF12 International). I'd say the original FFT (as well as its PSP remake) is the best of the Ivalice series.

To be honest, FF12 is the only FF I ever played - and finished - on the PS2. I've finished both FF7 & FF8 (the PC version, though). I've also finished CC:FF7 on the PSP & I'm now playing FFT on the PSP.
While FF12's story is quite below par, its graphics are nevertheless gorgeous, & I kinda liked the liberty you can take in developing your skills (not that I like the License Board system, let alone the battle system, but I only like the freeform development it can give you). Honestly, FF12 could've been a tactical RPG because of its highly political overtones - I've known lots of tactical RPGs that use political overtones.
I don't think Vaan is supposed to be the main character, or Ashe, for that matter. I think in FF12 the developers seem to want all 6 characters to be a protagonist in his/her own right. Vaan is out for adventure, but also to forget memories of losing his brother to the war; Ashe is out to avenge her father & her husband, as well as free her kingdom; Penelo is out to keep an eye on Vaan; Basch is out to clear his tarnished name; Balthier is out for treasure, but also to run away from his crazed father; Fran is out for her place in Ivalice after being banished from her hometown.
Gotta agree, though, that Vaan at least became more useful in RW.

I liked the Grandia series for its great battle system, but not its storyline. The Xenosaga series' battle system may be that simple, but the story is deeper than the Pacific Ocean.
Some of you, however, may have already heard of the Golden Sun series for the GBA. Honestly, I liked it, & despite being a traditional RPG on the GBA the graphics are great for a GBA RPG & its ability/magic/summoning systems are ingrained into one system.

Now for an RPG I actually disliked: Shining Force EXA.
I think the deep customization you can do to both Toma & Cyrille is fine, but...
Not only is the story so cliched (even the "I love you" scene at the end made me cringe), the enemy crowding can actually cause a slowdown. Sure I wanna blast several foes at a time a la Dynasty Warriors, but slowing down? Bulls***.
Back to top Go down
FlyingWeaselMan
Level 6
Level 6
FlyingWeaselMan

Male
Number of posts : 144

PostSubject: Re: what RPGs do you like and dont like and why?   what RPGs do you like and dont like and why? EmptyFri Jun 20, 2008 8:15 am

I agree, FF12 was a disappointment to me.
Back to top Go down
oblivionator
Admin
Admin
oblivionator

Male

PostSubject: Re: what RPGs do you like and dont like and why?   what RPGs do you like and dont like and why? EmptyFri Jun 20, 2008 11:45 am

FF12 was a disappointment to the series, other than awesome graphics, there really isn't much positive things you can say about it
Back to top Go down
megalos5889
Level 3
Level 3
megalos5889

Male
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: what RPGs do you like and dont like and why?   what RPGs do you like and dont like and why? EmptyFri Jun 20, 2008 12:29 pm

I agree. But still, something boggles me. If we all think FF12 was a disappointment, then why did it get high marks on video game magazines, & was even once hailed as the "Best RPG of 2006"? It boggles my mind.
Back to top Go down
Suraksin Varja
Level 7
Level 7
Suraksin Varja

Male

PostSubject: Re: what RPGs do you like and dont like and why?   what RPGs do you like and dont like and why? EmptyFri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Persona;y... with characters out of the question.. i liked the political take on it.. the story wasnt half bad.. couldve been better and yes graphics were greats.. the LP system was odd but very easy... Vann or whatever his name was wasnt any worse than EMO Squall or Tidus.

With over 16-17 titles within the FF series there is only 1 or 2 thats labled as "not bad" or "dissapointing compared to..."

but yeah i actualy kind of liked 12.. was somewhat refreshing.
Back to top Go down
oblivionator
Admin
Admin
oblivionator

Male

PostSubject: Re: what RPGs do you like and dont like and why?   what RPGs do you like and dont like and why? EmptyFri Jun 20, 2008 10:55 pm

lol Vaan is a utterly USELESS character for the entire story and was just tagging along until the ending, Penelo is WORSE... She is tagging along with the person who is taggin along and posing as the main character. Squall and Cloud, while being emo, are vital in their storylines. Also, the buildup of the story at the beginning was awesome, but they switched developer halfway and everything began to crumple from there. The story has become an MMO-style, fetch quest. Oh we're gonna get this nethicite, oh we need to get this sword. Then they finish it off with a 100-floor dungeon >.> Oh and this is the first Final Fantasy in which their summons are utterly useless. The limit breaks is the same for everyone, regardless of the different animation and names, they do the same damage. The License Board is a downgrade from the Sphere Grid in FF10. So yeah I am disappointed.

On a positive note, FF12's graphics are exceptionally good and was better than any other RPG's graphics around its time. Nothing can beat their epic scale FMVs. The race designs are cool, especially the Vieras and the Moogles. The music scores are also very well done. One of the side systems that I loved, was the hunting. The process of acquiring certain Espers can also be fun, if only the Espers are worth the effort >.>.
Back to top Go down
Suraksin Varja
Level 7
Level 7
Suraksin Varja

Male

PostSubject: Re: what RPGs do you like and dont like and why?   what RPGs do you like and dont like and why? EmptyFri Jun 20, 2008 11:25 pm

by saying he was no worse than squall or tidus i wa refering to how every1 bitches about those two.. also im just sayn i thought the story itself.. not the gameplay was refreshing since it was a political take on things. Also the statement still stands.. that out of 17 or so titles this is one of the rare few that ppl werent too happy about.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what RPGs do you like and dont like and why?   what RPGs do you like and dont like and why? EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 3:09 am

I use to play and love a game called "Might and Magic VI" anyone ever play that?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what RPGs do you like and dont like and why?   what RPGs do you like and dont like and why? Empty

Back to top Go down

what RPGs do you like and dont like and why?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kagerou Studios :: The Lounge :: Free-For-All Discussion-
Jump to: